We had an incredible time with over 1,000 educators from across the country for our 8th annual and first-ever virtual, Modern Band Summit.
Together in 2020, we…
- Convened more than 550 public school teachers, higher education professionals, and arts education administrators.
- Represented more than 75 public school districts.
- Participated in 70+ unique staff and peer-led professional development workshops and social music-making events and jam sessions each day.
- For a closer look at last year’s conference, check out our 2020 sessions below.
- Little Kids Rock Welcome
- Opening Artist Keynote with Brian Hardgroove
- Artist Keynote with Darryl “DMC” McDaniels & Judy Ho
- Artist Keynote with Steven Van Zandt
- TeachRock (Rock and Roll Forever Foundation) Resources – TeachRock is a standards-aligned arts integration curriculum that uses the history of popular music and culture to help teachers engage students.
- Artist Keynote with Linda Perry
- Closing Keynote with Dave Wish
- Conference Recap Video
Distance Learning Strategies
- Setting Up for Modern Band Success – Sean Moats & Jenn Moats
- Creating Distance Playing Videos with Final Cut Pro – Jose Vergara
- From a Distance: Teaching Modern Band Online – Beth Poquette Drews
- Creating on All Devices: Online Music Tech Made Easy – John Mlynczak
- Vision 2020: Transform Music Education Now! – Latasha Casterlow-Lalla
- Continue to Collaborate and Compose at a Distance – Anthony DiMasso
- Creating a Class Rap – Ana Maria Jaramillo
- What Do We Tell the Kids? Understanding Hip Hop Through the Lens of Oppression – Kenrick Wagner
- Hip Hop: Bars & Hooks – Kenrick Wagner
- Fostering a Culturally Responsive Music Classroom – Ashley Shabankareh
- Combatting Prejudice Instilled by Normativity – Mia Ibrahim
- Anti-Racist Teaching in the Music Classroom – Alice Tsui
- Refusing White Supremacy in Music Education – Stephen Brackett & Brent Adams
- Social Justice in the Music Classroom – Jarritt Sheel
- Thought Leadership: Social Justice Topics in Music Education – Latasha Casterlow-Lalla, Tony White, Raymundo Vizcarra, and Steve Venz
- Guerilla Video – Jay Arbolario
- Surviving Remote Teaching with Soundtrap – Ronnie Nissinboim
- Essential Video Editing Tips for iPhone Users – Junar Ortega
- Creative Composition with Chrome Music Lab – Alex Ramirez
- Soundtrap from the Ground Up – Catherine Plichta
- A One Man Band – Using the Acapella App – Stefanie Sagaro
- Google Classroom for Modern Band Educators – Kris Gilbert
- Rock Virtual, Blended or in-Person Lessons! – Nadine Levitt & Greg Yurchuk
- Play Wrong on Purpose: The Sound Effects Special – Steve Underhill & Veronica Underhill
- Teaching Uke Remotely – Julie Carallo & Tony Carallo
- Thought Leadership: Health, Safety & Instructional Solutions for Music Educators – Bob Morrison, James Weaver, Dr. Mark Spede, & Dr. Mackie Spradley
- Student Leadership in Practice & Performance – Mary Claxton & Spencer Hale