Little Kids Rock is a leader in the fields of both urban music education and Modern Band programming.
We offer a complete suite of workshops for students and faculty designed to help your institution learn more about urban music education and Modern Band. Little Kids Rock has offered workshops at over 50 colleges and universities throughout the United States.
To learn more about Little Kids Rock’s workshop series, email HigherEd@littlekidsrock.org
Modern Band Methods: A hands-on, 8-hour workshop that provides introduction to running Modern Band programs utilizing Music as a Second Language approach.
Introduction to Modern Band: A hands-on workshop (4-hours or 2-hours) that can be customized for a partner's needs
- 4-hour version – Participants are introduced to the instruments of Modern Band (pending instrument availability) and will learn the basics of playing and teaching guitar, keyboard, drums, vocals, bass, and technology. This session also covers the basic core values of Little Kids Rock and introduces the Music as a Second Language pedagogy. While shorter in duration, the aims of this workshop are the same as the full workshop to inspire pre-service music educators to leverage the cultural capital of their students and provide a music education experience that will be as diverse as the students they will one day teach
- 2-hour version – Participants are introduced to some of the instruments of Modern Band (pending instrument availability) and explore Modern Band though the implementation of the Music as a Second Language pedagogy
Modern Band Guest Lecture Series: 45-90 minutes and can be done either in-person or through a video conference.
- The incorporation of Modern Band and the core values of Little Kids Rock
- The basic tenets of Music as a Second Language pedagogy.
- Youth development through music education
- Music education non profits