If you are interested in applying for future opportunities and/or volunteer positions, we invite you to submit your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Director of Amp Up: NYC
Amp Up NYC, LLC
New York City, New York
Amp UP NYC Management Committee with dotted line reporting to the National Program Director of Little Kids Rock. This person will be an employee of Little Kids Rock.
- Under the guidance and direction of the National Program Director and the Management Committee of Amp Up NYC, participate in setting the overall strategy and specific annual goals and targets for expanding the program;
- Manage the goals and objectives of the Amp Up NYC staff that will include a Development Director and (2) Regional Program Directors;
- Manage the 4.5 million dollar budget for programmatic activities, including restricted and non-restricted funds with oversight from the National Program Director;
- Work closely with the NYCDOE Arts leaders to ensure ongoing support of the 150+ Amp Up NYC programs that are in place, and to build support for new programs;
- Establish, maintain and continuously review systems, processes and procedures to ensure that the programs are run efficiently, effectively, safely and in accordance with the terms of the joint venture;
- Steward the Regional Program Directors to ensure that the Amp Up NYC curriculum is effectively conveyed to new and existing teachers a d that they utilize it in their modern band programs;
- Establish criteria for data collection and assessment to provide metrics with respect to the efficacy of the program as well as the resulting satisfaction-level of the management committee;
- Ensure that the goals of the partnership are met, if not exceeded
- 5 years of experience working with public schools;
- 3 years of managerial experience in a setting involving comparable responsibilities as those outlined above including management of multi-site programming;
- Exceptionally strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven ability to motivate and inspire teachers and staff;
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects, self-prioritize, and adjust to shifting priorities while meeting deadlines and showing attention to detail;
- Ability to anticipate problems, take initiative, and “think outside the box;”
- Proficiency on one or more of the following instruments: guitar, electric bass, drum kit, keyboard;
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with databases;
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Master’s or doctoral degree preferred;
- Formal academic pedigree in some aspect of music, music performance or music teaching will be required.
- Spanish speaking a plus
- A Shared passion for Amp Up NYC’s mission and pedagogy;
- A dynamic, charismatic temperament that fosters enthusiasm in others;
- A natural relationship builder;
- A big picture thinker with the ability to provide tangible, constructive suggestions to improve the organization and support its growth objectives;
- A collaborative individual that is willing to consider diverse opinions and integrate them into creating effective solutions;
- An individual of the highest integrity;
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include “Director of Amp Up: NYC” in the email subject line.
Send resume and brief cover letter telling us how your prior experience and interests are a strong match with the core responsibilities and experience requirements outlined below to firstname.lastname@example.org
Little Kids Rock is a nationally recognized nonprofit that transforms children’s lives by restoring and revitalizing music education in our nation’s public schools. The organization was founded in 2002 by a former elementary school teacher and is based near New York City. Little Kids Rock is a dynamic, fast-paced organization, staffed by passionate individuals who care deeply about children. Little Kids Rock now works with over 1,000 teachers in 11 states and serves over 117,000 children. With steady growth for the past 11 years, an operating budget of $2.5M, and a staff of 15, Little Kids Rock is poised and ready for substantial growth over the next 3-5 years. With each new school district, teacher and child that becomes part of the Little Kids Rock program, the organization is one step closer to realizing its goal of transforming music education in this country and ensuring that every child has the opportunity to play an instrument regardless of socio-economic circumstances.
Little Kids Rock inspires children to express themselves through music – building the creativity, confidence, and self-esteem that are critical to success in school and beyond. As the largest music organization of its kind, Little Kids Rock:
- Promotes innovative teaching methods and curriculum rooted in children’s knowledge of popular music forms such as rock, pop, blues, and hip-hop;
- Provides professional trainings and workshops to public school teachers in low-income school districts so they can offer music classes utilizing these unique methods that immediately engage kids in creating and making music;
- Provides the free musical instruments to these teachers and children who would not otherwise have access to music education in their school settings.
Working closely with and in support of the Executive Director, the Executive Assistant will play a critical role in supporting the work and efficiency of the Executive Director, and, consequently, will have a tremendous impact on the overall success of Little Kids Rock. We seek a uniquely qualified individual who takes pride in his/her work, is extremely hard working, fast-paced and detail-oriented and is committed to maintaining a level of excellence in all that he or she does. This is a wonderful opportunity for an extraordinary professional to join a team that is committed to bringing the gift of music to children across the country. Little Kids Rock has already reached thousands of teachers and hundreds of thousands of children. This is only the beginning!
- Maintain the Executive Director’s schedule which is constantly changing and requires a significant amount of communication and juggling of priorities
- Schedule meetings and do required research and preparation of materials to support the Executive Director for his key meetings and presentations
- Help organize the Executive Director’s time and priorities which requires making judgment calls on his behalf and managing the expectations of those competing for his time and attention
- First point of contact between the Executive Director and outside contacts and Little Kids Rock staff
- Communicate, on behalf of the Executive Director to ensure timely and accurate information flow
- Provide general administrative support including answering calls and emails, returning messages, setting up meetings, greeting visitors, sorting mail and receiving packages.
- Take notes at meetings and distribute notes and action items to relevant parties
- Track and book the Executive Director’s travel schedule; track and prepare reports for expense reimbursement
The ideal candidate will be motivated by the Little Kids Rock mission and will have a passion for children, music and education. We seek a team player who:
- Has an undeniable passion for the work of Little Kids Rock
- A sense of fun, wonder and humor
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact successfully with a variety of internal and external audiences including senior funders, program partners, board members, staff, colleagues and strategic partners
- Can gracefully handle multiple tasks and competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Can prioritize effectively and is extremely organized and efficient
- Is computer and internet savvy, is comfortable in an online environment, and is eager to learn Willing to go above and beyond to support the Executive Director and the organization to fulfill its mission and organizational objectives and goals
- Can work independently with minimal supervision
- Must thrive in an innovative, think-outside-the-box environment
- Shows grace under pressure
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- College degree required.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience with at least two years prior experience as an administrative or executive assistant required.
Competitive and commensurate with experience